RSS

The King of Shreds and Patches, Android Edition

21 Mar

I’m pleased to announce that The King of Shreds and Patches, my novel-length work of interactive fiction, is now available under the Antiquarian Productions for the Kindle Fire and other Android tablets in the Amazon App Store.

I’ll be working to make it available in Google Play, which will finally give those outside the United States an opportunity to purchase at least one version of the story. A version for the Barnes and Noble Nook is also in the works. Once those things are accomplished, the die will be cast for rolling out more stories from other authors. I’ll let you know here as soon as I have more news on those fronts.

In the meantime, word of mouth is the best sort of marketing there is. So please tell your friends about it, and if you do purchase please think about leaving some feedback in the Amazon App Store in the form of a review.

And hey, thanks so much for all your support and feedback thus far. I love you guys!

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to The King of Shreds and Patches, Android Edition

1. gnome

March 21, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Excellent news, just excellent! Still lack a tablet mind, but surely an Android phone version can’t be too far off…

2. Tale

March 21, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Jimmy,

what kind of input does this use (clickable keywords?) Would you say it’s realistically playable on an Android Phone (once the Google Play version is out) ?

Failing that, which is the recommended version for a Desktop PC?

• Jimmy Maher

March 21, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Sorry to be a downer, guys, but I don’t anticipate doing a phone version. Actually, there’s no TECHNICAL reason this version couldn’t run on a phone, except that I specified it as for “large” (i..e, tablet-sized) screens in the manifest. I thought about that long and hard, but in the end had to recognize that it’s just not going to be a very good experience on a phone-sized screen.

The game is still parser-based, although it uses word-recognition and auto-correction technology if available on the device to make typing easier.

As far as the PC version: the latest version is available from the game’s site; see the link in the right-hand column. It’s a few years old now, yes, and the newer mobile versions do have some modest corrections that I haven’t yet backported to the PC version. However, these are indeed VERY modest: minor typo corrections and the like. To make up for it, the PC version is the only one with a dynamic map and that cool sound puzzle. And of course it’s free, which counts for something I guess. :)

3. Sig

March 23, 2012 at 2:57 am

I finished that for the first time on my netbook on a transoceanic flight. (I wrote to you about it when we landed.) I’m sure I disturbed the people next to me on the plane. People don’t generally get that excited about a bunch of text on a screen. Their loss.

4. Matt Wigdahl

March 23, 2012 at 4:35 am

Is your Android app a specialized version just for this game, or are you planning on making it generic such that other Glulx or Zcode games could be released using a similar app wrapper?

Currently, IF on Android doesn’t have a lot of great options for deployment.

• Jimmy Maher

March 23, 2012 at 7:55 am

I won’t be releasing a standalone Android terp, as a story file requires quite a lot of customization to work with this engine — and frankly because I just don’t think that’s the way to go if we want to get IF accepted in this market. The interface is quite similar to the Kindle interface, which was very well received.

It is, however, intended to be a reusable engine. I hope to begin releasing some other IF this way — skimming off the cream of the community’s recent output, as it were — soon. Assuming the authors are willing, of course…

5. Jay Dugger

March 24, 2012 at 5:41 am

Thank you for releasing this independently of the Kindle.

• Jay Dugger

March 24, 2012 at 5:42 am

Amazon shows The King of Shreds and Patches as compatible with the two phones I own: the Motorola Droid I and the Samsung Galaxy Note.

• Jimmy Maher

March 24, 2012 at 8:42 am

Interesting. If anyone reading this does try to purchase it from Amazon for a phone, let us know a) whether it’s possible and b) how the experience is. As it stands, though, I can’t really recommend it for phones.